Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, ranks among the top ten universities in Nigeria. In recent years and to the present, academic achievement has also been tested and proven to be effective.
Here are things you need to know about University of Obafemi Awolowo, Ile-Ife (OAU).
History Of Obafemi Awolowo University
Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, is one of three universities founded in Nigeria between 1961 and 1962 as a result of a study submitted to the Federal Government in September 1960 by a Commission established in April 1959 under the chairmanship of Sir Eric Ashby, Master of Clare College, Cambridge, to examine Nigeria’s post-secondary and higher education requirements over the next two weeks. On 8 June, 1961, during the chairmanship of Chief Rotimi Williams, the Act providing for the creation of the Provisional Council of the University was formally inaugurated.
The Government of the Western State promulgated an Edict on 11 June 1970, known as the University of Ife edict, 1970, to replace the Provisional Council Law of 8 June 1961. Since then, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (Amended) Edict No. 112 of 1975 (Transitional Provisions) has amended this Edict by Decree No.
Number 23 of 1975. This new decree took over the University of Obafemi Awolowo by the Federal Military Government and formed the Provisional Council as the Provisional Governing Body of the University which under the general direction of the Head of the Federal Government, oversees and manages the policies and finances of the University. Since then, this Transitional Council has been substituted by a Council of Governors.
The university began with five departments: Arts, Economics, Agriculture and Social Studies (now Social Sciences), Law and Science. Since then, six additional faculties have been established, namely the Faculty of Education (founded on 1 October 1967), the Faculty of Pharmacy (established on 1 October 1969), the Faculties of Technology and Health Sciences (now College of Health Sciences) (both established on 1 October 1960), the Faculty of Administration with effect from 1 October 1979) and the Faculty of Environmental Design and Management (now College of Health Sciences).
The university then created a collegiate structure with five colleges in 1992. The program did not work efficiently and after two years, was discontinued. The Postgraduate College and the College of Health Sciences have been preserved, nevertheless. The Departments of Basic Medical Sciences, Clinical Sciences and Dentistry are all part of the College of Health Sciences.
Sections In Obafemi Awolowo University
Here are other various sections and main divisions within the university:
- The Central Science Laboratory The Distance Learning Centre
- The Equipment Maintenance and Development Centre The Central Technological Laboratory Workshop
- The Centre for Industrial Research and Development The Institute of Public Health
- The Drug Research and Production Unit
- The Technology Planning and Development Unit The Computer Centre
- The Institute of Cultural Studies
- The Adeyemi College of Education located in Ondo
- The Institute of Ecology and Environmental Studies The Centre for Gender and social Policy Studies
- The Institute of Agricultural Research and Training, Ibadan The Natural History Museum
And lastly, within the University, there are other several organizations over which the University has no direct or in some cases, minimal influence, have premises.
- The Centre for Energy Research and Development
- The Regional Centre for Training in Aerospace Surveys
- The National central for Technology Management
The English-language African Regional Centre for Space Science and Education. From 244 in 1962/63 to over 30,000 at present, the student population has gradually grown.
The University of Obafemi Awolowo, Ile-Ife also has a standard mission and vision statement that they hang on to with great respect.
To nurture a teaching and learning community; advance frontiers of knowledge; engender a sense of selfless public service; and add value to African culture.
A top rated university in Africa.
- To operate as an equal opportunity educational institution, sensitive to the principle of gender equity and non-discriminatory on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion or physical disability.
- To provide services that has relevance to and impact on the local community and the Nation.
- To expand access to tertiary education in the face of unmet demand.
- To provide conditions of study, work and living in the University Community that is of appropriate standard.
- To produce graduate of international standard, with appropriate knowledge and skills in their field of study, who will be highly employable and able to employ themselves.
- To provide high quality research and development activities that will promote the development of the Nation and enhance the image of the University and the researchers.
- To harness modern technology especially ICT and modern social, economic and financial strategies to run a cost of efficient and effective academic programme and institutional management.
The elegance and success of the University of Obafemi Awolowo (OAU) is not a mistake at all. Established in 1962 as the University of Ife, but renamed on May 12, 1987 by the Federal Military Government as the University of Obafemi Awolowo, in honor of Chief Jeremiah Obafemi Awolowo, one of its most prominent founding fathers and eminent nationalist, politician, lawyer, stateman and former chancellor.
Their Postgraduate Programs
The Postgraduate College administers postgraduate education at Obafemi Awolowo University in compliance with the academic policies developed by the Senate of the University and by the Standing Committee of the Senate, the Postgraduate College Board.
The Postgraduate College is directed by the Provost, who is also the Chairman of the Board of the Postgraduate College, which is made up of the Provost, the Deputy Provost, 4 elected Senate members (including the Provost), 2 faculty officials, the University Librarian and the Secretary of the College. The Divisions, the main organizational units, are connected via their respective Departmental and Faculty Postgraduate Committees to the Postgraduate College.
In 1964, postgraduate education and analysis began at Obafemi Awolowo University. Due to its inheritance of significant infrastructure from the Pharmacy School of the former Nigerian College of Arts and Science, the first postgraduate program was developed in Pharmacy, one of the foundation faculties and a faculty ideally positioned to set up a postgraduate program.
Indeed, the University’s second convocation in 1967 witnessed the award of the first and lone Ph.D (Animal Science) in 1976. Today, the University has over 5,000 postgraduate students enrolled and conducts postgraduate programs in all faculties, including 16 postgraduate diplomas, 106 masters (including advanced degrees), 32 master’s degrees in philosophy and 80 degree programs in philosophy.
Many of the nation’s practitioners in many fields, including government leaders, leading industrialists, and influential academics and scholars in many universities, constitute over 9,000 graduate alumni at the University.
Departments In Obafemi Awolowo University
Below are various departments in Obafemi Awolowo University, which include:
Centers And Institutes In Obafemi Awolowo University
Centers of excellence in Obafemi Awolowo University operating in many areas of study are as follows:
- Institute of Public Health (IPH, OAU)
- Institute of Ecology and Environmental Studies (IEES
- opulation and Reproductive Health Programme/OAUIFE-GATES Institute JHU Partnership Project
- Regional Centre for Training in Aerospace Surveys (RECTAS)
- Space Applications And Environmental Science Laboratory (SPAEL)Centre for Space Research (CSR)
- Cooperative Information Network (COPINE / CICTED)
- Drug Research & Production Unit (DRPU)
- Institute for Entrepreneurship and Development Studies (IFEDS)
- National Centre for Technology Management (NACETEM)
- Institute of Cultural Studies
- A.G. Leventis Natural History Museum (NHM)
- African Institute for Science Policy and Innovation (AISPI)
- Atmospheric Research And Information Analysis Lab (ARIAL)
- Centre for Energy Research and Development (CERD)
- Center for Gender Studies (CGS)
- Centre for Space Science and Technology Education in Africa (ARCSSTE)
- Aviation Training Institute
- Central Science Laboratory (CSL)
Obafemi Awolowo University Health Services
The university believes that Prevention is better than cure, as they say, and cleanliness is usually an effective weapon for preventing infectious diseases. A variety of services have been made available by this university to ensure an atmosphere suitable for healthy living. Even then, you, as a person, are required to make correct use of these facilities, such as:
- The University Authorities aims to keep the University Campus clear of bush through the Parks and Gardens Unit. Some traditional bush paths, however have been developed and snake bite is a popular danger in the Health Centre, especially during the rainy season. If it does not end up losing life, the cost of handling a poisonous snake bite runs to thousands of Naira and so it should be more reasonable/and cost-effective to prevent bush paths as much as possible, particularly at night. If you have to go out at night, hold a torch and wear high shoes.
- University facility restrictions have told the scenario where 9-10 students are now assigned rooms originally built for four students, a situation where students who have obtained official accommodation taking on squatters is risky. In situations of overcrowding, such illnesses spread like bush fire. Stop squatting.
- Refuse (household waste) must be stored in covered dust bin/waste paper baskets and placed in a location where healthcare workers can quickly empty them.
- It is necessary to use toilet facilities respectably and appropriately.
- Generally, the water supplied through the University Dam is potable, but we suggest that water should be boiled before drinking, based on previous experience, and lots more.
Their Health Centre
If you are still a student of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, the health center provides a significant role in your wellness and health-related matters. Therefore it is of utmost importance that you recognize their laws and regulations in order not to run foul of them.
- If you fall sick while writing your examination, the university demands you should be brought to the Health Centre by your Invigilator who must have completed in triplicate a disability form normally supplied to all examination centers by the Examination and Records Office of the University.
- During official holidays, if you fall sick at home and your condition continues beyond the holidays, you must send someone to alert the health center about it and bring a complete medical report when you return to the university. Except in the event of an accident, the health center does not accept sick cards from private health institutions.
- The University stated that no one will be eligible for free care at the Health Centre if not register at the Health Centre and maneuver to register for your courses.
- Any health-related matter between you and your department at the health center can also not be authenticated.
- You must report this immediately to the Health Centre if you travel home during the course of the session and you fall sick.
The University has provided 100% medical services for the health and wellbeing of the student and so they is no need running around for health services when need arises, the university is equal to the task.
The University has well structured systems inside the school compound for various events, different departments of choice, postgraduate programs are very productive and their health care services are well equipped with all kinds of machinery and infrastructure, they are students Doctors who with the assistance of trained Doctors, also operate these equipment. There are a lot of things to talk about the university, and it is also a desirable place for academic achievement.
University of Obafemi Awolowo, Ile-Ife, is a well preferred university with excellence and moral upright, decent and competent lecturers as well as a conducive learning environment. For a greater and better posterity beyond, this university will educate and guide you on the right direction.